Pak condemns US envoy`s killing as well as anti-Islam film
Islamabad: Pakistan on Wednesday condemned the killing of the US Ambassador in Libya during protests against an anti-Islam film but said that the movie had "deeply hurt" the feelings of Pakistanis and Muslims around the world.
"The government of Pakistan strongly condemns the killing of US Ambassador Christopher Stevens and several other staff members in an attack on the US Consulate in Benghazi, Libya," Foreign Office spokesman Moazzam Khan said in a statement tonight.
Stevens, 52, and three other American officials died as gunmen protesting over the film fired rocket-propelled grenades at the envoy`s car and set fire to the US mission.
President Barack Obama too condemned the killing of the ambassador.
Pakistan also condemned the emergence of a clip from the anti-Muslim film.
"The government of Pakistan strongly condemns the airing of a defamatory video clip in the US, maligning the revered and pious personality of Prophet Mohammed on the eve of September 11, 2012," spokesman Khan said in a separate statement.
Khan said the emergence of the video at a time when the world was marking the anniversary of the 9/11 terror attacks had created "enmity" between people of different faiths.
"Such abominable actions, synchronised with commemoration of atrocious events like 9/11, provoke hatred, discord and enmity within societies and between peoples of various faiths. The event has deeply hurt the feelings of the people of Pakistan and the Muslims all over the world," he said.
Pakistan is a "strong proponent of inter-faith harmony and believes that all manifestations of extremist tendencies must be opposed", Khan said.
In neighbouring Afghanistan, Taliban leaders called on people to "take revenge" on American soldiers for the US-made film.
A clip from the film promoted on YouTube by extreme anti-Muslim groups in the US triggered protests in Libya, Egypt and Tunisia.
Protests in the Muslim world on such issues have usually triggered similar demonstrations by extremist groups in Pakistan.
Throughout the day, reports suggested that the Pakistan government could take action against YouTube for hosting the clip from the film, made by an Israeli-American.
Muslims consider it offensive to depict Muhammad in any manner, including in paintings and movies.
The 2005 publication of caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad in a Danish newspaper triggered riots in many Muslim countries, including Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo