Pak conveys concern to China over substandard rail engines
Beijing: Pakistan has conveyed to China
its concern over the supply of substandard rail engines to it
after the issue created a furore back home.
A top Pakistani Railway official, accompanying
President Asif Ali Zardari on a visit here, told his Chinese
counterpart that the 69 rail engines it brought from China
did not meet the requirements of Pakistan railways.
While Pakistan has decided to buy 75 new rail engines
and 200 railway bogies from China, General Manager Ashfaq
Khattak told his counterpart yesterday that 60 rail engines
supplied by China earlier were not up to the standards,
Pakistan`s official news agency APP reported.
Khattak said the Chinese company assured him that the
new engines would meet the quality standards of Pakistan
Railways, it said.
The issue of substandard rail engines had created a
furore in Pakistan recently.
According to Pakistani media reports in May, the then
General Manager Pakistan Railways, Shahid Ahmad, had said that
the management had decided to drop the idea of acquiring 75
locomotives from the Chinese company as 32 previously supplied
engines out of 69 had to be phased out after they became
The fresh order of 75 locomotives came after President
Zardari himself intervened and forced the Railways to oblige
the Chinese suppliers despite large-scale opposition within
the Railways Ministry, reports said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried