Pak conveys concern to China over substandard rail engines
Beijing: Pakistan has conveyed to China
its concern over the supply of substandard rail engines to it
after the issue created a furore back home.
A top Pakistani Railway official, accompanying
President Asif Ali Zardari on a visit here, told his Chinese
counterpart that the 69 rail engines it brought from China
did not meet the requirements of Pakistan railways.
While Pakistan has decided to buy 75 new rail engines
and 200 railway bogies from China, General Manager Ashfaq
Khattak told his counterpart yesterday that 60 rail engines
supplied by China earlier were not up to the standards,
Pakistan`s official news agency APP reported.
Khattak said the Chinese company assured him that the
new engines would meet the quality standards of Pakistan
Railways, it said.
The issue of substandard rail engines had created a
furore in Pakistan recently.
According to Pakistani media reports in May, the then
General Manager Pakistan Railways, Shahid Ahmad, had said that
the management had decided to drop the idea of acquiring 75
locomotives from the Chinese company as 32 previously supplied
engines out of 69 had to be phased out after they became
The fresh order of 75 locomotives came after President
Zardari himself intervened and forced the Railways to oblige
the Chinese suppliers despite large-scale opposition within
the Railways Ministry, reports said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe