Pak cook arrested for poisoning 25 over political rivalry
Islamabad: A cook has been arrested in Pakistan for killing 25 people by mixing poisonous insecticide in the food prepared at the house of a provincial lawmaker in a tragic case of political vendetta, police said on Thursday.
The incident occurred on June 8 in Mailsi area of Vehari district in southern Punjab but police launched probe only after media highlighted the deaths which occurred between June 10 and 23.
Local police officer Afzal Ali said that the cook, Muhammad Rafiq, prepared the poisonous food at the farmhouse of provincial lawmaker Jahanzeb Khan Khichi after getting Rs 50,000 as bribe from a person known as Arsal Khan Khichi.
"Arsal is a political rival and cousin of Jahanzeb who defeated him in May 11 election and he wanted to take a revenge for the humiliation," Ali said.
Police has registered a murder case against the cook and Arsal but the later was still at large.
District police officer Vehari region, Sadiq Dogar, said that police was conducting raids at various places and the main culprit will be apprehended.
Rafiq also told police that he was promised 100,000 rupees for the murder.
Dawn newspaper quoted a local health that the autopsy of the dead confirmed the presence of poisonous substance in the bodies.
Most of the victims were poor labourers who worked on the land of the Jahanzeb, who is a prominent landlord.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi