Pak cops use explosives` bottle as ashtray, cause blast
Karachi: Two Pakistani policemen, having a smoke on a police station rooftop, casually stubbed the cigarette in a bottle containing highly inflammable chemicals for making explosives - causing a blast.
The explosion on the roof of Risala police station on Saturday afternoon was caused by two policemen who were smoking on the roof, officials of the bomb disposal squad (BDS) told The News.
Potassium nitrate, which is a chemical component in explosives and is inflammable, was stored in a container on the rooftop. The chemical is also known as saltpetre.
The team found that there were two bottles of potassium nitrate on the rooftop, each carrying 100 grams of the explosive material.
"One of the two policemen put a burning cigarette in the bottle carrying saltpetre. This caused a huge explosion, injuring both men," an official was quoted as saying.
The bottles had been sent to the Risala police by the BDS for testing purposes, after a large quantity of potassium nitrate had been discovered near the courts.
"Some 15 to 20 kg of potassium nitrate was recovered last year near City Courts premises. Except for some 200 grams, the rest was disposed of."
"Instead of sending the samples to the lab, the Risala police dumped these two bottles on the roof of their building," the official said.
The official went on to say that his assessment was that "the chemical was ignited by cigarette. Most probably, one of the guards put the burning end of the cigarette in the container, and this caused the explosion."
The explosion caused panic in the area with the people fearing it to be a terror attack.
Pakistan has been hit by a string of terror strikes as the Army continued its assault against the Taliban fighters in South Waziristan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks