Pak court adjourns 26/11 case trial till Feb 14
Islamabad: The court conducting the trial of
seven suspects charged with involvement in the Mumbai attacks
on Saturday adjourned proceedings till February 14 after prosecutors
informed the judge that authorities were awaiting fresh dates
for a Pakistani judicial commission`s visit to India.
Chief prosecutor Chaudhry Zulifqar Ali told anti-terrorism
court Judge Shahid Rafique that Pakistani authorities were
awaiting a new schedule from the Indian government for the
judicial commission`s visit to India, sources said.
The Indian government had earlier told Pakistani
authorities that the commission could visit Mumbai at any time
between February 1 and 10.
However, the panel could not go ahead with the visit due
to various reasons.
Ali told the judge that Pakistani authorities had sought
new dates for the commission`s visit and were not awaiting a
response from New Delhi, the sources said.
Following this, the court adjourned proceedings till
Khwaja Haris Ahmed, counsel for Lashkar-e-Taiba commander
Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, has filed a petition questioning the
manner in which the commission was constituted.
This petition is yet to be decided by the court.
Ahmed also requested the court to fix a date for the
commission`s visit after February 12, when a 40-day period of
mourning for his late father, Khwaja Sultan, will end.
Sultan was Lakhvi`s lawyer till his death.
The Pakistani judicial commission is scheduled to
interview the magistrate who recorded the confession of Ajmal
Kasab, the lone surviving attacker, the police officer who led
the investigation in Mumbai and two doctors who conducted the
autopsies of the terrorists and victims.
Lakhvi and the six other suspects have been charged with
planning, financing and executing the attacks that killed 166
people in November 2008.
However, their trial has stalled due to various technical
issues for the past year.
Prosecutors have said the commission`s visit to India is
necessary to take forward the trial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof