Pak court adjourns blasphemy case to September 1
Islamabad: A local court in Islamabad has adjourned the hearing of the case pertaining to a minor Christian girl, who was arrested on charges of blasphemy, to September 01.
The court issued notices to the state and the complainant over the bail application, reports The Dawn.
The complainant`s lawyer said the legal procedure was not being followed in the case of the girl- Rimsha Masih -who he said was being tried under the Juvenile Justice System Ordinance (2000). He also objected to Rimsha`s medical test, saying it was carried out before the court could have ordered one.
Rimsha`s lawyer disagreed and said a panel of eminent doctors had conducted the test.
The court subsequently adjourned the hearing to September 01.
Rimsha, who reportedly suffers from Down’s Syndrome, has been held since August 16 under the strict blasphemy laws, prompting concern from Western governments, the Vatican and rights groups.
Rimsha was accused of committing blasphemy after a neighbour saw her allegedly burning pages inscribed with verses from the Holy Quran. The news of desecrating the Quran spread like wild fire, following which furious locals bashed up Rimsha and her mother. She was later arrested by the police on the demand of the locals.
Earlier on Monday, Rimsha was taken to a hospital for tests to determine how old she was, after conflicting reports about her age.
The medics` report said that based on factors including her height, build and teeth, the girl appeared to be "approximately 14 years", and gave details of her apparent mental abilities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India