Pak court adjourns blasphemy case to September 1
Islamabad: A local court in Islamabad has adjourned the hearing of the case pertaining to a minor Christian girl, who was arrested on charges of blasphemy, to September 01.
The court issued notices to the state and the complainant over the bail application, reports The Dawn.
The complainant`s lawyer said the legal procedure was not being followed in the case of the girl- Rimsha Masih -who he said was being tried under the Juvenile Justice System Ordinance (2000). He also objected to Rimsha`s medical test, saying it was carried out before the court could have ordered one.
Rimsha`s lawyer disagreed and said a panel of eminent doctors had conducted the test.
The court subsequently adjourned the hearing to September 01.
Rimsha, who reportedly suffers from Down’s Syndrome, has been held since August 16 under the strict blasphemy laws, prompting concern from Western governments, the Vatican and rights groups.
Rimsha was accused of committing blasphemy after a neighbour saw her allegedly burning pages inscribed with verses from the Holy Quran. The news of desecrating the Quran spread like wild fire, following which furious locals bashed up Rimsha and her mother. She was later arrested by the police on the demand of the locals.
Earlier on Monday, Rimsha was taken to a hospital for tests to determine how old she was, after conflicting reports about her age.
The medics` report said that based on factors including her height, build and teeth, the girl appeared to be "approximately 14 years", and gave details of her apparent mental abilities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'