Pak court adjourns blasphemy case to September 1
Islamabad: A local court in Islamabad has adjourned the hearing of the case pertaining to a minor Christian girl, who was arrested on charges of blasphemy, to September 01.
The court issued notices to the state and the complainant over the bail application, reports The Dawn.
The complainant`s lawyer said the legal procedure was not being followed in the case of the girl- Rimsha Masih -who he said was being tried under the Juvenile Justice System Ordinance (2000). He also objected to Rimsha`s medical test, saying it was carried out before the court could have ordered one.
Rimsha`s lawyer disagreed and said a panel of eminent doctors had conducted the test.
The court subsequently adjourned the hearing to September 01.
Rimsha, who reportedly suffers from Down’s Syndrome, has been held since August 16 under the strict blasphemy laws, prompting concern from Western governments, the Vatican and rights groups.
Rimsha was accused of committing blasphemy after a neighbour saw her allegedly burning pages inscribed with verses from the Holy Quran. The news of desecrating the Quran spread like wild fire, following which furious locals bashed up Rimsha and her mother. She was later arrested by the police on the demand of the locals.
Earlier on Monday, Rimsha was taken to a hospital for tests to determine how old she was, after conflicting reports about her age.
The medics` report said that based on factors including her height, build and teeth, the girl appeared to be "approximately 14 years", and gave details of her apparent mental abilities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information