Pak court adjourns Davis case till March 16
Lahore: A Pakistani court on Tuesday adjourned
till March 16 a case against suspected CIA contractor Raymond
Davis, arrested for gunning down two men here in January,
after defence lawyers sought more time to study documents
filed by the prosecution.
During proceedings conducted at the Kot Lakhpat Jail for
security reasons, lawyers defending Davis told Additional
District and Sessions Judge Yousuf Aujla that they needed more
time to study documents and matters related to the case.
The judge then adjourned the matter till March 16.
Davis again reportedly refused to accept the challan or
charge-sheet filed by police against him.
At the last hearing on March 3, the judge had rejected
Davis` claim of diplomatic immunity and said it would go ahead
with his murder trial for killing two men in Lahore on January
Davis had told the judge that he has immunity and cannot
be tried by Pakistani courts.
But Judge Aujla said no legitimate document had been
presented by Davis or the Pakistan government to show that the
American had diplomatic immunity.
The former Special Forces soldier was arrested after he
shot and killed two armed men he claimed were trying to rob
him. Police rejected Davis` claim that he acted in self
defence and booked him for murder.
Pakistani leaders, including Prime Minister Yousuf Raza
Gilani, have said the matter should be settled by the courts.
The case has been complicated by reports in western media
that Davis was working as a security contractor for the CIA.
The Pakistan government has rejected repeated US demands
for Davis to be freed on the grounds of diplomatic immunity
and relations between the two countries have plunged to a new
On March 14, the Lahore High Court will hear a separate
case to decide Davis` diplomatic status.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy