Pak court adjourns Mumbai attacks case till Aug 31
Islamabad: A Pakistani court hearing the case of seven men, including LeT commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, charged with involvement in the Mumbai attacks has adjourned the hearing for six weeks, a defence lawyer said on Monday.
The anti-terrorism court in Islamabad recorded no progress during the last hearing on Saturday as the judge, Kausar Abbas Zaidi, was on leave. The next hearing was fixed for August 31.
Lawyer Riaz Akram Cheema, part of the team defending Lakhvi and the other accused, said this was the first time that the trial of the accused has been deferred for six weeks.
He criticised the postponement, saying that an anti-terrorism court cannot put off any case for more than two weeks.
The seven suspects include Lashkar-e-Taiba commander Lakhvi, who allegedly masterminded the attacks that killed 166 people in India`s financial hub in November 2008.
Pakistan has acknowledged that the conspiracy behind the attacks was hatched in the country. The seven men were arrested shortly after the attacks but their trial has progressed at a snail`s pace.
LeT operative Ajmal Kasab, the only surviving attacker, was recently hanged by India. New Delhi has demanded that Islamabad should expedite the trial of the seven suspects to show that it is serious about countering terrorism.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!