Pak court adjourns till Feb 10 hearing of plea against Sharifs
Lahore: A Pakistani court has adjourned till February 10 the hearing of a petition filed by a
consortium of banks for recovering loans worth about Rs 3 billion (over USD 35 million) from former premier Nawaz Sharif and his relatives.
Earlier, a committee formed by the Lahore High Court
submitted its recommendations about winding up business firms
for which the loans were taken and the banks sought time from
the court to review this option.
The National Bank of Pakistan, Habib Bank, United
Bank, Zarai Taraqiati Bank of Pakistan, Muslim Commercial
Bank, Picic Bank, First Punjab Mudarba and Corporate Law
Authority filed the petition against Sharif and his kin in the
The petitioners asked the court during a hearing
yesterday to issue orders for the recovery of the loans
through auction of Ittefaq Foundries, Ittefaq Textile Mills
and Khalid Siraj Industries, all firms owned by the Sharifs,
as they had failed to fulfil financial commitments made
against the loans advanced to them.
Earlier, the High Court had ordered the sale of these
However, the decision was challenged by Mian Meraj
Din, a shareholder in Ittefaq Group and Sharif`s uncle, on the
ground that such an auction would violate Section 284 of the
Four firms, including Ittefaq Foundries, Ittefaq
Brothers and Brother Steel Mills, were handed over by the
Sharif family to the banks but the banks rejected the move and
demanded payment in cash.
The Sharifs are facing severe criticism for getting
bank loans written off in the past and for not paying income
tax they are liable to pay under the law.
Reports said Sharif, who heads the PML-N party, paid
only Rs 5,000 (USD 600) as income tax last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users