Pak court allows Sarabjit`s lawyer to meet him in jail
Lahore: A Pakistani court today allowed a
lawyer representing Sarabjit Singh to meet the Indian death
row prisoner after the advocate filed a petition saying that
the jail authorities had denied him access to his client.
The lawyer, Awais Sheikh, had filed the petition in the
Lahore High Court in which he had said that the administration
of Kot Lakhpat jail, where Sarabjit is lodged, was not
allowing him to visit his client.
The superintendent of the prison told Justice Ijaz
Chaudhry that since Sarabjit was a condemned prisoner, there
was no point in allowing him access to his lawyer.
Dismissing the superintendent`s stance, the court allowed
Sheikh to meet Sarabjit.
However, media reports quoted the judge as saying that
Sheikh should show some sympathy for victims of the bomb
attacks allegedly carried out by Sarabjit.
Sheikh told that he wanted to show Sarabjit a
petition signed by 100,000 Indians that urged the Pakistan
government to pardon him. Besides, Sarabjit was eager to know
about his family, he said.
The lawyer recently visited India and met Sarabjit`s
"Sarabjit`s sister has written a letter to the Chief
Justice of Pakistan and I will reveal its contents on Thursday
after meeting Sarbajit," Sheikh said.
Sarabjit`s execution was put off indefinitely last year
on the intervention of Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani.
He was convicted for alleged involvement in bomb attacks
in Pakistan that killed 14 people in 1990.
Sarabjit`s family insists that he was wrongly convicted
for the bombings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!