Pak court allows Sarabjit`s lawyer to meet him in jail
Lahore: A Pakistani court today allowed a
lawyer representing Sarabjit Singh to meet the Indian death
row prisoner after the advocate filed a petition saying that
the jail authorities had denied him access to his client.
The lawyer, Awais Sheikh, had filed the petition in the
Lahore High Court in which he had said that the administration
of Kot Lakhpat jail, where Sarabjit is lodged, was not
allowing him to visit his client.
The superintendent of the prison told Justice Ijaz
Chaudhry that since Sarabjit was a condemned prisoner, there
was no point in allowing him access to his lawyer.
Dismissing the superintendent`s stance, the court allowed
Sheikh to meet Sarabjit.
However, media reports quoted the judge as saying that
Sheikh should show some sympathy for victims of the bomb
attacks allegedly carried out by Sarabjit.
Sheikh told that he wanted to show Sarabjit a
petition signed by 100,000 Indians that urged the Pakistan
government to pardon him. Besides, Sarabjit was eager to know
about his family, he said.
The lawyer recently visited India and met Sarabjit`s
"Sarabjit`s sister has written a letter to the Chief
Justice of Pakistan and I will reveal its contents on Thursday
after meeting Sarbajit," Sheikh said.
Sarabjit`s execution was put off indefinitely last year
on the intervention of Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani.
He was convicted for alleged involvement in bomb attacks
in Pakistan that killed 14 people in 1990.
Sarabjit`s family insists that he was wrongly convicted
for the bombings.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!