Pak court allows Sarabjit`s lawyer to meet him in jail
Lahore: A Pakistani court today allowed a
lawyer representing Sarabjit Singh to meet the Indian death
row prisoner after the advocate filed a petition saying that
the jail authorities had denied him access to his client.
The lawyer, Awais Sheikh, had filed the petition in the
Lahore High Court in which he had said that the administration
of Kot Lakhpat jail, where Sarabjit is lodged, was not
allowing him to visit his client.
The superintendent of the prison told Justice Ijaz
Chaudhry that since Sarabjit was a condemned prisoner, there
was no point in allowing him access to his lawyer.
Dismissing the superintendent`s stance, the court allowed
Sheikh to meet Sarabjit.
However, media reports quoted the judge as saying that
Sheikh should show some sympathy for victims of the bomb
attacks allegedly carried out by Sarabjit.
Sheikh told that he wanted to show Sarabjit a
petition signed by 100,000 Indians that urged the Pakistan
government to pardon him. Besides, Sarabjit was eager to know
about his family, he said.
The lawyer recently visited India and met Sarabjit`s
"Sarabjit`s sister has written a letter to the Chief
Justice of Pakistan and I will reveal its contents on Thursday
after meeting Sarbajit," Sheikh said.
Sarabjit`s execution was put off indefinitely last year
on the intervention of Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani.
He was convicted for alleged involvement in bomb attacks
in Pakistan that killed 14 people in 1990.
Sarabjit`s family insists that he was wrongly convicted
for the bombings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations