Pak court charges Qadri for killing Salman Taseer
Rawalpindi: An Anti-Terrorism Court (ATC) in Pakistan has charged Malik Mumtaz Hussain Qadri with terrorism and the murder of former Punjab governor Salman Taseer.
Qadri has confessed that he killed the governor over his statement regarding the country’s blasphemy law.
“The judge examined the record and said that apparently the accused committed murder and terrorism. The judge read out the charges to the accused. The accused pleaded not guilty,” a newspaper quoted one of Qadri’s lawyers, as saying.
The lawyer also said that Qadri denied it was murder saying that he had acted on the directives of the Koran and the teachings of the Prophet Mohammed “regarding an apostate”.
The next hearing will be held on February 26, when witnesses and evidence will be presented.
Qadri had shot Taseer in his chest and neck when he was coming out from a restaurant in Islamabad on January 4. The governor died on the spot.
It is the most high-profile political killing in Pakistan since former prime minister Benazir Bhutto’s assassination in December 2007.
Earlier, in his official confessional statement, Qadri had claimed that he had acted alone and ruled out the involvement of any religious group in his actions.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read