Pak court declares Ashraf`s son-in-law`s appointment illegal
Islamabad: A court has declared illegal the appointment of former premier Raja Pervaiz Ashraf`s son-in-law in an investment company jointly owned by the governments of Pakistan and China.
A single-judge bench of the Islamabad High Court yesterday set aside the notification that appointed Shahnawaz Mehmood as deputy managing director in the Pakistan-China Investment Company Limited.
The court had earlier reserved its judgment on a petition challenging the appointment of the former premier`s son-in-law in the company.
The government of Pakistan had appointed Mehmood in the company on March 4.
An official named Javed Mehmood, who was appointed to the same post in 2011 and whose term was set to end in January 2014, challenged the appointment of Ashraf`s son-in-law.
Mehmood alleged in court that the Finance Division had issued the notification appointing Ashraf`s son-in-law "under political pressure".
He further alleged the appointment was based on nepotism, favouritism and personal whims and was made in violation of the principles of good governance.
He had requested the court to declare the notification as illegal.
On March 29, the Islamabad High Court had cancelled a contract for constructing roads in Ashraf`s constituency on the ground that it was awarded to the army-run National Logistics Cell in violation of procurement rules.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information