Pak court dismisses petition against Sherry Rehman
Lahore: A Pakistani court on Wednesday dismissed a
petition challenging senior PPP leader Sherry Rehman`s
appointment as the country`s envoy to the US.
The petition had challenged her appointment on the grounds
that she was a Member of the Parliament.
When the Lahore High Court took up the petition today, the
bench observed that Rehman had resigned from her seat in the
National Assembly or lower house of Parliament after her
appointment as Ambassador.
After hearing the court`s observation, the petitioner, a
lawyer named Muhammad Azhar Siddique, opted not to press the
The court then dismissed the application.
Rehman was appointed as Pakistan`s envoy to the US after
Husain Haqqani was forced to resign from the post after he was
linked to a secret memo sent to the US military.
The memo had purportedly sought American help to prevent a
military coup in the wake of the killing of Osama bin Laden in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- Sheena Bora on Indrani Mukerjea in her diary: `I hate my mother...she is a witch`
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported