Pak court dismisses petition against Sherry Rehman
Lahore: A Pakistani court on Wednesday dismissed a
petition challenging senior PPP leader Sherry Rehman`s
appointment as the country`s envoy to the US.
The petition had challenged her appointment on the grounds
that she was a Member of the Parliament.
When the Lahore High Court took up the petition today, the
bench observed that Rehman had resigned from her seat in the
National Assembly or lower house of Parliament after her
appointment as Ambassador.
After hearing the court`s observation, the petitioner, a
lawyer named Muhammad Azhar Siddique, opted not to press the
The court then dismissed the application.
Rehman was appointed as Pakistan`s envoy to the US after
Husain Haqqani was forced to resign from the post after he was
linked to a secret memo sent to the US military.
The memo had purportedly sought American help to prevent a
military coup in the wake of the killing of Osama bin Laden in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed