Pak court drops blasphemy case against Rimsha
Islamabad: The 14-year-old Christian girl accused of blasphemy for burning pages of Quran, was on Tuesday exempted of all charges against her by Islamabad High Court in Pakistan.
In an incident that evoked worldwide outrage, Rimsha Masih, a mentally challenged minor girl, was arrested on August 16 on blasphemy charges for burning Quran pages as claimed by a Muslim cleric.
Rimsha’s lawyers said that she was falsely implicated due to evidence planted by Khalid Chishti, the imam of the mosque in the low-income Mehria Jaffar neighbourhood of Islamabad.
Chishti faced arrest after a man testified that he had seen the cleric stuffing pages of the Quran in a bag belonging to Rimsha.
Rimsha was arrested on August 16 after an angry mob surrounded a police station and demanded that action be taken against her.
Rimsha spent three weeks of judicial remand at the high-security Adiala Jail in Rawalpindi.
She was released on bail on September 8 and she along with her family was sent to an undisclosed location as they received death threats.
An official medical board that examined Rimsha concluded that she was about 14 years old and that her mental development did not correspond to her age.
Rights groups have warned that Pakistan`s controversial blasphemy law is often used to settle personal scores or persecute minorities like Christians.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video