Pak court drops blasphemy case against Rimsha
Islamabad: The 14-year-old Christian girl accused of blasphemy for burning pages of Quran, was on Tuesday exempted of all charges against her by Islamabad High Court in Pakistan.
In an incident that evoked worldwide outrage, Rimsha Masih, a mentally challenged minor girl, was arrested on August 16 on blasphemy charges for burning Quran pages as claimed by a Muslim cleric.
Rimsha’s lawyers said that she was falsely implicated due to evidence planted by Khalid Chishti, the imam of the mosque in the low-income Mehria Jaffar neighbourhood of Islamabad.
Chishti faced arrest after a man testified that he had seen the cleric stuffing pages of the Quran in a bag belonging to Rimsha.
Rimsha was arrested on August 16 after an angry mob surrounded a police station and demanded that action be taken against her.
Rimsha spent three weeks of judicial remand at the high-security Adiala Jail in Rawalpindi.
She was released on bail on September 8 and she along with her family was sent to an undisclosed location as they received death threats.
An official medical board that examined Rimsha concluded that she was about 14 years old and that her mental development did not correspond to her age.
Rights groups have warned that Pakistan`s controversial blasphemy law is often used to settle personal scores or persecute minorities like Christians.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Cow slaughter should be banned across the country; Muslims should stop eating meat: Azam Khan
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials