Pak court gives more time to govt to submit info on foreigners
Lahore: A Pakistani court has given more time to the federal government to file a reply to a petition asking the Interior and Foreign Ministries to provide the Punjab government complete information on foreigners living in the eastern province.
A Deputy Attorney General representing the federal government appeared before Justice Chaudhry Iftikhar Hussain of the Lahore High Court yesterday and sought more time to file the reply.
The judge adjourned the petition to a date to be fixed subsequently by the court`s office.
Lawyer Noshab Khan filed the petition in the backdrop of the shooting and killing of two Pakistani men by CIA contractor Raymond Davis in Lahore in January.
Khan claimed that scarcity of correct information about Davis had caused immense hardship to the public.
He asked the court to direct the Interior and Foreign Ministries to supply all necessary information to Punjab`s Interior Secretary about foreigners living in the province, their duties and functions, their whereabouts, movements and designs.
Khan further said the Punjab government should be directed by the court to take necessary measures to safeguard the life and property of citizens, especially from the "hands of foreigners".
Davis was pardoned and freed after over USD 2 million was paid to the families of the dead men.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened