Pak court issues notice to ISI chief, other officials
Islamabad: A Pakistani court has issued notices to the ISI chief and other senior officials in connection with a contempt of court petition filed by four civilian employees of the powerful spy agency.
Justice Riaz Ahmed Khan of the Islamabad High Court on Thursday issued notices to ISI Director General Lt Gen Zahir-ul-Islam, Defence Secretary Lt Gen (retired) Asif Yasin Malik, Establishment Secretary Taimur Usman and Khursheed Ahmed Shah, the chairman of a cabinet sub-committee on regularising the service of contractual employees.
The four ISI employees - Sajjad Ali, Shahid Dilawar, Mohammad Shafiq and Gul Dad - had contended that the spy agency had not acted on an order of the Islamabad High Court for regularising the service of contractual employees.
The four men, all Grade-18 officers, have said they had been working on contract as junior analysts in the ISI for the past seven years.
They claimed their contractual appointment was limited to five years, after which they were to be made permanent employees.
Shoaib Shaheen, the lawyer for the ISI employees, contended that on December 31, 2012, the High Court had directed the federal government to regularise the services of over 1,000 contractual employees, including the four officials.
Like other departments, the ISI was given a month to regularise the petitioners` services, he said.
Shaheen contended that the actions of the spy agency were tantamount to contempt of court and action should be taken against the concerned officials under the contempt of court law.
The four ISI employees told the court that a cabinet sub-committee had decided their cases on January 29 and recommended their services should be regularised from 2005.
However, this decision is yet to be implemented, they told the judge.
After hearing arguments from both sides, Justice Khan adjourned the matter till March 14.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video