Pak court orders registration of treason case against Musharraf
Islamabad: Acting on a petition that claimed
Pervez Musharraf tortured judges who did not endorse the
emergency imposed by him in 2007, a Pakistani court today
directed authorities to register a case against the former
military ruler on charges of treason.
A bench of the Sindh High Court also directed Interior
Minister Rehman Malik and the Federal Investigation Agency
(FIA) to carry out necessary legal procedures to facilitate
the registration of the case against Musharraf on treason
It issued the order in response to a petition filed by a
man named Attahullah Shah, who accused Musharraf of imposing
emergency in Pakistan in November 2007 without any valid
Shah contended that Musharraf had sacked and tortured
senior members of the judiciary who did not endorse the
He claimed Musharraf`s actions resulted in abrogation
of the Constitution and this was tantamount to treason.
An anti-terrorism court in Rawalpindi recently issued
an arrest warrant for Musharraf for failing to cooperate with
the FIA in its probe into the assassination of former premier
The court had issued the warrant after the FIA informed
it that Musharraf, currently living in self-exile in Britain,
should be declared an absconder for failing to cooperate in
the investigation into the assassination.
Musharraf stepped down as President in 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader