Pak court rejects Lakhvi`s petition

Last Updated: Monday, October 31, 2011 - 20:01

Lahore: A Pakistani court on Monday dismissed a
petition filed by Lashkar-e-Toiba commander Zakiur Rehman
Lakhvi, a key accused in the Mumbai attacks case, seeking the
transfer of his trial from Rawalpindi to Lahore.

Lahore High Court Chief Justice Ijaz Ahmad Chaudhry, who
had earlier reserved his decision in the matter, dismissed the
petition and observed that the matter falls under the
territorial jurisdiction of the Islamabad High Court.

Chaudhry said Lakhvi should approach the Islamabad High
Court for the purpose.

Lakhvi, in the petition filed through his counsel Khwaja
Sultan, had sought the transfer of his trial in an
anti-terrorism court in Rawalpindi to Lahore on the grounds
that he did not have confidence in the judge.

He had claimed that the judge was being influenced by the
government and the Interior Ministry.

The petition further contended that the federal
government had "influenced" the anti-terrorism court to allow
the formation of a commission to go to India to record the
statements of witnesses to the Mumbai attacks and to
cross-examine Ajmal Kasab, the lone surviving attacker.

The proposal to form the commission was opposed by the
lawyers defending the seven Pakistani nationals, including
Lakhvi, charged with planning, financing and facilitating the
2008 attacks that killed 166 people in Mumbai.

A law officer representing the federal government had
opposed the contentions raised by Lakhvi in his petition.

After hearing arguments by both sides, Chief Justice Ijaz
Ahmad Chaudhry had reserved his verdict on October 17.

The judge announced his verdict in open court today.

The trial of the seven suspects was delayed for several
weeks as the judge of the anti-terrorism court said he could
not proceed with the case till the Lahore High Court ruled on
Lakhvi`s petition.

PTI



First Published: Monday, October 31, 2011 - 20:01

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus