Pak court says woman cannot marry death row convict
Lahore: A Pakistani court on Thursday reversed
its decision allowing a woman to marry a man currently on
death row in a prison in this eastern city, saying she had
concealed several crucial facts when she approached the court.
Justice Ijaz Ahmad Chaudhry Lahore High Court issued a
notice to Laiba Saher alias Sidra Kanwal, asking her to
explain why contempt of court proceedings should not be
initiated against her for concealing facts from the court.
Acting on a petition filed by Saher, the judge had
last month directed authorities to allow her to marry Muhammad
Attique-ur-Rehman, who is on death row in Kot Lakhpat jail.
The judge subsequently told authorities to put off the
marriage after Saher`s father filed a review petition.
During today`s proceedings, the judge also ordered
authorities to lodge Saher in Daar-ul-Aaman, a home for women.
The judge gave the orders in response to the review
petition filed by Saher`s father, Muhammad Sarwar.
Sarwar said in his petition that Saher was already
married to another man named Nadeem Ahmad.
He said that she was kidnapped and an FIR was
registered in this regard at a police station in Sialkot
district last year.
He said Saher was being illegally confined by
Attique-ur-Rehman`s parents, who were exercising undue
influence on her and misguiding her to commit fraud.
Saher appeared in court with her counsel, who
submitted a certified copy of a judgement for dissolving her
marriage with Nadeem Ahmad.
The counsel further said that the case related to
Saher`s abduction had been withdrawn on the basis of a
statement made by her.
The court observed that Saher had given a false name
in her writ petition seeking permission to marry
Attique-ur-Rehman and deliberately concealed facts regarding
her marriage with Nadeem Ahmad as well as its dissolution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information