Pak court seeks info on execution of Kasab arrest warrant
Islamabad: A Pakistani anti-terrorism court
hearing the Mumbai attacks case involving LeT`s Zakiur Rehman
Lakhvi and six other suspects on Saturday sought information from
the government on the execution of arrest warrants for Ajmal
Kasab and Fahim Ansari.
Judge Malik Muhammad Akram Awan of the Rawalpindi-based
anti-terrorism court heard arguments by prosecution and
defence lawyers on making Kasab, a Pakistani national
sentenced to death by an Indian court for his role in the
attacks, and Ansari, who was acquitted, part of the
proceedings in Pakistan.
The prosecution and defence lawyers have filed separate
petitions with regard to making Ansari and Kasab part of the
proceedings in the trial being conducted within Adiala Jail
for security reasons.
Arrest warrants for the two men issued by Judge Awan were
recently handed over to the Indian government by Pakistan.
The defence lawyers told the judge that proceedings to
bring the two men to Pakistan should be dropped on the
principle of double jeopardy as an Indian court had already
convicted Kasab and acquitted Ansari.
The prosecution argued that the presence of Kasab and
Ansari was needed for the trial of the seven suspects,
including Lashker-e-Taiba operations commander Lakhvi.
The prosecution also said action should be taken in this
regard under Sections 87 and 88 of the Code of Criminal
Procedure, which relate to persons declared absconders.
"After hearing the arguments by both sides, the judge
adjourned the proceedings till June 12 without making any
decision," said Shahbaz Rajput, one of the defence lawyers.
Special Public Prosecutor Malik Rab Nawaz Noon told
that the judge sought information from the government on
action being taken to execute the arrest warrants issued by
the court for Kasab and Ansari.
The judge said a reply detailing the progress made in
executing the warrants should be submitted at the next
hearing, Noon said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof