Pak court seeks law officers assistance on addressing judges
Lahore: A Pakistani court thursday sought the assistance of federal and provincial law officers to decide a petition challenging the use of terms like "my lord" or "your lordship" to address members of the superior judiciary.
A division bench of the Lahore High Court issued notices to the Advocate General of Punjab province and a Deputy Attorney General of the federal government to assist it in deciding an inter-court appeal on the issue.
The appeal was filed by a lawyer named Malik Allah Yar Khan through his counsel A K Dogar, who is also the counsel for Jamaat-ud-Dawah chief Hafiz Mohammad Saeed.
Dogar contended that the use of expressions like "my lord" or "your lordship" to address judges of superior courts was an offence because "only God is the lord".
The appeal was filed after a single-judge bench of the Lahore High Court dismissed Khan?s petition earlier this month.
Dogar pointed out that a presidential order promulgated in 1980 had suggested discontinuing the use of expressions like "my lord" in courts.
The order had suggested that terms like "sir", "janab-e-wala" or "janab-e-ali" should be used to address judges.
He asked the division bench to set aside the order of the single-judge bench and to issue directions to authorities not to use expressions like "my lord" or "your lordship".
After hearing arguments from both sides, the bench adjourned the case till October 10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?