Pak court stays demolition of 200-year-old temple
Karachi: The Sindh High Court has issued a stay order on the demolition of a 200-year old Hindu temple in the old area of the city.
The division bench of the court, headed by Chief Justice Mushir Alam, issued a stay order on a petition filed by Kailash Wishram, stopping the demolition of the Shri Laxmi Narayan Mandir near the Netty Jetty bridge until the next date of hearing after ten days.
The Karachi Port Trust and other respondents had sought to demolish the structure of the temple in a bid to increase the area of a popular food street built under the historical Netty Jetty bridge.
The division bench also appointed a Nazir of the court for inspection of the temple and directed him to submit his report after ascertaining the factual position of demolition and construction activity at the site within seven days.
The directions came on a constitutional petition filed by Wishram, a resident of the residential quarters on the temple premises.
He said that the Narayan Mandir was constructed much before the partition of the subcontinent and for a long time Hindus performed their religious rituals at the temple where access to seawater was one of the essential things to perform worship.
According to the Pakistan Hindu Council, the temple was constructed about 200 years ago and the festival of Raksha Bandhan (Nariyal Puja), Ganesh Chaturthi and every new moon night is celebrated there.
It is a sacred place for performing death rituals, funerals and other religious rituals.
The petitioner’s counsel submitted that the private company which ran the food street known as Port Grand, an endeavour in collaboration with the KPT, had started some construction work blocking the access to the seawater from the temple.
He said the construction would threaten their place of worship and so also the right of the minority community at large.
There are a number of historical Hindu worship places in Karachi in the old area which have come under threat from the land mafia or government negligence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results LIVE: BJP registers emphatic win; PM Narendra Modi says it's a great start to 2017
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17