Pak court stays execution of Qadri
Islamabad: A Pakistani court Tuesday stayed
the implementation of death sentence given to the self-confessed assassin of Governor Salmaan Taseer till it decided his appeal against the verdict.
A bench of the Islamabad High Court headed by Chief
Justice Iqbal Hameed-ur-Rehman issued the order after it began hearing the appeal filed by Malik Mumtaz Hussain Qadri, the police guard who gunned down Taseer outside a restaurant in Islamabad on January 4.
Qadri, who publicly confessed to killing Taseer for
criticising the country`s controversial blasphemy law, was
represented in the High Court by Khwaja Muhammad Sharif, a
retired Chief Justice of the Lahore High Court.
Sharif contended that the anti-terrorism court which
conducted Qadri’s trial did not have the power to give him the
The High Court also sought a response from the federal
government to Qadri’s appeal.
Several senior retired judges and dozens of members of
bar associations of various cities were present in the court
during today’s hearing.
Several of them offered to represent Qadri, witnesses
Authorities deployed a large contingent of security
personnel at the court complex as hundreds of Qadri`s
supporters, including members of hardline religious groups,
gathered there this morning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video