Pak court urged to bar handing over of Taliban leaders to US
Lahore: An ISI official-turned rights activist on Friday filed an application in a Pakistani court to bar authorities from handing over 10 top Taliban leaders, including Mullah Baradar, to the US or Afghanistan.
Apart from capturing Mullah Baradar, the deputy of elusive Afghan Taliban chief Mullah Omar, Pakistani law enforcement agencies have arrested several top commanders of outfit, including Mullah Abdul Salam, Mullah Abdul Kabir, Mullah Mir Muhammad, Ameer Muawiyia, Syed Tayyab Agha and Hakeemuddin Mehsud, in Karachi and other parts of the country recently.
Khalid Khawaja filed the petition in the Lahore High Court, requesting it to bar the government from handing over the arrested Taliban leaders to any country.
Acting on another petition filed recently by Khwaja, the High Court had barred authorities from extraditing or deporting Baradar and four other Taliban commanders.
Baradar and the other detained Taliban leaders are being interrogated by Pakistani intelligence agencies.
Reports have suggested that the CIA wants Baradar and the other commanders to be transferred to a prison near Kabul for interrogation as they are believed to have extensive knowledge of the Taliban network`s operations and finances. "Since Baradar and some other Taliban leaders are Afghan nationals, it is logical that their home country might be considered as an ultimate destination," a US official was quoted as saying.
However, Khwaja said in his petition that extraditing the accused to any foreign country would be against the laws of Pakistan.
"It is, therefore, humbly prayed that the court restrains the respondents from handing over/extraditing the accused to any foreign country and directs further that they may be interrogated only by the intelligence agencies of Pakistan," he said in his petition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users