Pak defence funds worth billions in private accounts
Islamabad: Pakistan’s Public Accounts Committee (PAC) has been told that billions of rupees of funds of the Ministry of Defence Production were kept in private accounts instead of state accounts.
The revelation came in a meeting of the PAC on Tuesday with Nadeem Afzal Gondal in the chair.
Auditor General of Pakistan (AGP) Buland Akhtar Rana told the committee that the mechanism of internal audit was too weak in the Heavy Industries Taxila (HIT) and it has not deposited billions of rupees in the national kitty and kept it in the company’s account, the News International reports.
According to the report, the AGP said that the HIT never gave an indication to the government from where the billions of rupees were coming and where they went.
The PAC chairman gave the Ministry of Defence Production (MoDP) secretary 15 days to furnish a certificate that no amount will be kept outside government accounts and also to brief the committee in this regard, the report said.
The MoDP secretary admitted the weakness in the internal audit mechanism, but said that they always made best effort to overcome these.
“The audit officials only pinpoint 10 percent mistake while 90 percent are not traced,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened