Pak defence funds worth billions in private accounts
Islamabad: Pakistan’s Public Accounts Committee (PAC) has been told that billions of rupees of funds of the Ministry of Defence Production were kept in private accounts instead of state accounts.
The revelation came in a meeting of the PAC on Tuesday with Nadeem Afzal Gondal in the chair.
Auditor General of Pakistan (AGP) Buland Akhtar Rana told the committee that the mechanism of internal audit was too weak in the Heavy Industries Taxila (HIT) and it has not deposited billions of rupees in the national kitty and kept it in the company’s account, the News International reports.
According to the report, the AGP said that the HIT never gave an indication to the government from where the billions of rupees were coming and where they went.
The PAC chairman gave the Ministry of Defence Production (MoDP) secretary 15 days to furnish a certificate that no amount will be kept outside government accounts and also to brief the committee in this regard, the report said.
The MoDP secretary admitted the weakness in the internal audit mechanism, but said that they always made best effort to overcome these.
“The audit officials only pinpoint 10 percent mistake while 90 percent are not traced,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!