Pak defence funds worth billions in private accounts
Islamabad: Pakistan’s Public Accounts Committee (PAC) has been told that billions of rupees of funds of the Ministry of Defence Production were kept in private accounts instead of state accounts.
The revelation came in a meeting of the PAC on Tuesday with Nadeem Afzal Gondal in the chair.
Auditor General of Pakistan (AGP) Buland Akhtar Rana told the committee that the mechanism of internal audit was too weak in the Heavy Industries Taxila (HIT) and it has not deposited billions of rupees in the national kitty and kept it in the company’s account, the News International reports.
According to the report, the AGP said that the HIT never gave an indication to the government from where the billions of rupees were coming and where they went.
The PAC chairman gave the Ministry of Defence Production (MoDP) secretary 15 days to furnish a certificate that no amount will be kept outside government accounts and also to brief the committee in this regard, the report said.
The MoDP secretary admitted the weakness in the internal audit mechanism, but said that they always made best effort to overcome these.
“The audit officials only pinpoint 10 percent mistake while 90 percent are not traced,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- When MP CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan got 'lift' from cops during visit to flood-hit areas; image goes viral - Pic inside
- Monsoon session of UP assembly from today; GST Bill likely to be ratified
- Rio Olympics 2016: Sachin Tendulkar all set to gift a swanky BMW to PV Sindhu for scripting history
- Four-day Delhi Assembly session to ratify GST Bill starts today
- Here's what kept Abhay Deol away from silver screen for two years!