Pak desperate to attend Chicago summit
Islamabad: Despite a hint from the NATO Secretary General, that Pakistan may not attend the Chicago summit later this month, Islamabad still expects to participate in the historic gathering to discuss the Afghan endgame.
Pakistan’s optimism stems from the fact that its ongoing negotiations with the US appear to have made progress, reports The Express Tribune.
A senior Pakistani official has disclosed that an agreement on the resumption of vital land routes for the NATO forces is expected to be concluded before the Chicago summit.
Islamabad’s participation in the summit, being attended by over 60 world leaders, hinges on its decision to reopen supply lines for the western forces stationed in Afghanistan.
NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen has also tacitly linked Pakistan’s invitation to the NATO Chicago summit 2012 to the reopening of the supply routes through the country.
“But as you also know, our transit routes through Pakistan are currently blocked. So, we have to continue our dialogue with Pakistan, with a view to finding a solution to that because that’s really a matter of concern,” he said, without clearly mentioning if Pakistan had been invited to the summit or not.
Pakistan Foreign Office spokesperson Moazzam Ali Khan said even if Pakistan did not go to Chicago, it would continue to play its role for the peace and stability in Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security