Pak desperate to attend Chicago summit
Islamabad: Despite a hint from the NATO Secretary General, that Pakistan may not attend the Chicago summit later this month, Islamabad still expects to participate in the historic gathering to discuss the Afghan endgame.
Pakistan’s optimism stems from the fact that its ongoing negotiations with the US appear to have made progress, reports The Express Tribune.
A senior Pakistani official has disclosed that an agreement on the resumption of vital land routes for the NATO forces is expected to be concluded before the Chicago summit.
Islamabad’s participation in the summit, being attended by over 60 world leaders, hinges on its decision to reopen supply lines for the western forces stationed in Afghanistan.
NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen has also tacitly linked Pakistan’s invitation to the NATO Chicago summit 2012 to the reopening of the supply routes through the country.
“But as you also know, our transit routes through Pakistan are currently blocked. So, we have to continue our dialogue with Pakistan, with a view to finding a solution to that because that’s really a matter of concern,” he said, without clearly mentioning if Pakistan had been invited to the summit or not.
Pakistan Foreign Office spokesperson Moazzam Ali Khan said even if Pakistan did not go to Chicago, it would continue to play its role for the peace and stability in Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what