Pak disturbed over India’s nuke test possibility
Islamabad: Pakistan today said it was
"disturbed" by reports that India could be preparing for
additional nuclear tests and hoped a unilateral moratorium on
testing would remain in place in the region.
"We are disturbed by media reports that India might be
considering to conduct additional (nuclear) tests," Foreign
Office spokesman Abdul Basit told a weekly news briefing.
Basit was responding to a question on concerns expressed
by Indian Army chief Gen Deepak Kapoor about a reported
increase in Pakistan`s nuclear arsenal.
Pakistan does not "discuss the contours of our
deterrence in public" but is committed to maintaining a
"credible deterrence at the minimum levels," he said.
Pakistan is also opposed to any arms race in South Asia,
"We have proposed a regional restraint regime, including
a regional nuclear test ban treaty. The proposal is still on
the table. We hope a unilateral moratorium on testing in the
region will continue to be observed," Basit said.
Leading Indian defence scientist K Santhanam`s recent
remarks that the test of a thermonuclear bomb in 1998 was not
as successful as was claimed triggered speculation that New
Delhi could be preparing for further tests to validate the
design of its nuclear weapons.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has refuted Santhanam`s
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician