Pak doesn’t respect human rights: US lawmaker
Washington: Raising the recent incident where a mob torched scores of homes in a Christian neighbourhood in Pakistan on the floor of the House, a US lawmaker blammoed the south-Asian country for not respecting the human rights of religious minorities.
"Mr Speaker, Pakistan takes our money but they do not respect the human rights of religious minorities. Some radical Muslims believe that other religions should be tolerant of their faith, but they are not tolerant of Christians and other Muslim sects. This ought not to be. But that`s just the way it is," Congressman Ted Poe said while addressing the House this week.
"Mr Speaker, Christians are under attack in the Muslim nation of Pakistan. Christians live in fear of being persecuted because of their faith. They also can face life in prison or even death if convicted of insulting Islam," he said.
"Some say that the religious laws are used as a tool to deal with personal vendettas. A Christian man living in Pakistan last week was accused of committing blasphemy. Suddenly, a large group of men from a nearby mosque stormed his home Friday night. The man was arrested," he alleged.
"Fearing for their safety, hundreds of other Christian families fled in the dark of the night. On Saturday morning, the mob, as shown in this photograph, returned and began ransacking more Christian homes and setting them ablaze. According to Human Rights activists, more than 100 Christian homes were burned," Poe said in his remarks in the House.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- WOW! This video of Andhra actor singing Allah, Allah fires up the internet – WATCH viral video
- WTA world rankings: Serena Williams still reigns as number one
- OP Jaisha marathon row: Vijay Goyal passes the buck to IOA, assures probe
- Xiaomi likely to unveil Redmi Note 4 on August 25
- Natural to express grief over mistreatment of Dalits: LK Advani