Pak doesn’t respect human rights: US lawmaker
Washington: Raising the recent incident where a mob torched scores of homes in a Christian neighbourhood in Pakistan on the floor of the House, a US lawmaker blammoed the south-Asian country for not respecting the human rights of religious minorities.
"Mr Speaker, Pakistan takes our money but they do not respect the human rights of religious minorities. Some radical Muslims believe that other religions should be tolerant of their faith, but they are not tolerant of Christians and other Muslim sects. This ought not to be. But that`s just the way it is," Congressman Ted Poe said while addressing the House this week.
"Mr Speaker, Christians are under attack in the Muslim nation of Pakistan. Christians live in fear of being persecuted because of their faith. They also can face life in prison or even death if convicted of insulting Islam," he said.
"Some say that the religious laws are used as a tool to deal with personal vendettas. A Christian man living in Pakistan last week was accused of committing blasphemy. Suddenly, a large group of men from a nearby mosque stormed his home Friday night. The man was arrested," he alleged.
"Fearing for their safety, hundreds of other Christian families fled in the dark of the night. On Saturday morning, the mob, as shown in this photograph, returned and began ransacking more Christian homes and setting them ablaze. According to Human Rights activists, more than 100 Christian homes were burned," Poe said in his remarks in the House.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- LIVE: Donald Trump takes charge as 45th President of US; Barack Obama thanks supporters