Pak EC issues Gilani`s disqualification notice
Islamabad: The Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) on Tuesday issued a formal notice disqualifying Yousuf Raza Gilani as a Member of Parliament, hours after the Supreme Court ordered it to do so.
The notification was issued following an emergent meeting of the Election Commission chaired by Acting Chief Election Commissioner Mian Shakirullah Jan, an official statement said.
"Consequent upon disqualification of Syed Yousuf Raza Gillani from being a member of Majlis-e-Shoora (parliament) by the Hon`ble Supreme Court of Pakistan...On and from the date and time of pronouncement of the judgment of the Supreme Court dated 26. 04.2012, the Election Commission of Pakistan hereby issues notification of disqualification of Syed Yousuf Raza Gillani as member National Assembly", the statement said.
The notification issued on March 1, 2008 regarding Gilani`s election to the National Assembly or lower house of parliament from Multan constituency "stands rescinded with effect from 26.04.2012", the statement said.
A three-judge bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry disqualified Gilani in response to several petitions that had challenged National Assembly Speaker Fehmida Mirza`s decision not to disqualify the premier following his conviction of contempt.
The bench ruled that the post of premier had been vacant since April 26, when another seven-judge bench had convicted Gilani of contempt for refusing to reopen graft cases in Switzerland against President Asif Ali Zardari.
The bench had also directed the Election Commission to issue a notification regarding Gilani`s disqualification.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days