Pak EC issues Gilani`s disqualification notice
Islamabad: The Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) on Tuesday issued a formal notice disqualifying Yousuf Raza Gilani as a Member of Parliament, hours after the Supreme Court ordered it to do so.
The notification was issued following an emergent meeting of the Election Commission chaired by Acting Chief Election Commissioner Mian Shakirullah Jan, an official statement said.
"Consequent upon disqualification of Syed Yousuf Raza Gillani from being a member of Majlis-e-Shoora (parliament) by the Hon`ble Supreme Court of Pakistan...On and from the date and time of pronouncement of the judgment of the Supreme Court dated 26. 04.2012, the Election Commission of Pakistan hereby issues notification of disqualification of Syed Yousuf Raza Gillani as member National Assembly", the statement said.
The notification issued on March 1, 2008 regarding Gilani`s election to the National Assembly or lower house of parliament from Multan constituency "stands rescinded with effect from 26.04.2012", the statement said.
A three-judge bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry disqualified Gilani in response to several petitions that had challenged National Assembly Speaker Fehmida Mirza`s decision not to disqualify the premier following his conviction of contempt.
The bench ruled that the post of premier had been vacant since April 26, when another seven-judge bench had convicted Gilani of contempt for refusing to reopen graft cases in Switzerland against President Asif Ali Zardari.
The bench had also directed the Election Commission to issue a notification regarding Gilani`s disqualification.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing