Pak EC issues Gilani`s disqualification notice
Islamabad: The Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) on Tuesday issued a formal notice disqualifying Yousuf Raza Gilani as a Member of Parliament, hours after the Supreme Court ordered it to do so.
The notification was issued following an emergent meeting of the Election Commission chaired by Acting Chief Election Commissioner Mian Shakirullah Jan, an official statement said.
"Consequent upon disqualification of Syed Yousuf Raza Gillani from being a member of Majlis-e-Shoora (parliament) by the Hon`ble Supreme Court of Pakistan...On and from the date and time of pronouncement of the judgment of the Supreme Court dated 26. 04.2012, the Election Commission of Pakistan hereby issues notification of disqualification of Syed Yousuf Raza Gillani as member National Assembly", the statement said.
The notification issued on March 1, 2008 regarding Gilani`s election to the National Assembly or lower house of parliament from Multan constituency "stands rescinded with effect from 26.04.2012", the statement said.
A three-judge bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry disqualified Gilani in response to several petitions that had challenged National Assembly Speaker Fehmida Mirza`s decision not to disqualify the premier following his conviction of contempt.
The bench ruled that the post of premier had been vacant since April 26, when another seven-judge bench had convicted Gilani of contempt for refusing to reopen graft cases in Switzerland against President Asif Ali Zardari.
The bench had also directed the Election Commission to issue a notification regarding Gilani`s disqualification.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical