Pak EC issues Gilani`s disqualification notice
Islamabad: The Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) on Tuesday issued a formal notice disqualifying Yousuf Raza Gilani as a Member of Parliament, hours after the Supreme Court ordered it to do so.
The notification was issued following an emergent meeting of the Election Commission chaired by Acting Chief Election Commissioner Mian Shakirullah Jan, an official statement said.
"Consequent upon disqualification of Syed Yousuf Raza Gillani from being a member of Majlis-e-Shoora (parliament) by the Hon`ble Supreme Court of Pakistan...On and from the date and time of pronouncement of the judgment of the Supreme Court dated 26. 04.2012, the Election Commission of Pakistan hereby issues notification of disqualification of Syed Yousuf Raza Gillani as member National Assembly", the statement said.
The notification issued on March 1, 2008 regarding Gilani`s election to the National Assembly or lower house of parliament from Multan constituency "stands rescinded with effect from 26.04.2012", the statement said.
A three-judge bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry disqualified Gilani in response to several petitions that had challenged National Assembly Speaker Fehmida Mirza`s decision not to disqualify the premier following his conviction of contempt.
The bench ruled that the post of premier had been vacant since April 26, when another seven-judge bench had convicted Gilani of contempt for refusing to reopen graft cases in Switzerland against President Asif Ali Zardari.
The bench had also directed the Election Commission to issue a notification regarding Gilani`s disqualification.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!