Pak engineer quizzed after wires in shoe spark airport alert
Karachi: A Pakistani national from the
troubled northwest was arrested at the Karachi airport trying
to board an aircraft for the Gulf after police found electric
circuits and batteries hidden in his shoes.
The arrested man identified as Faiz Muhammad who was
travelling to Muscat by Thai airways was arrested yesterday at
the airport when scanners sounded an alarm, police said.
They said the 30-year-old civil engineer is being
interrogated by the police to find whether he had any links
with terror outfits.
The bearded man was not found to be carrying any
explosives but officials were worried as the batteries and
electric circuit in his shoes was potent enough to set off an
explosion in an aircraft.
The man told the police he was using shoes with
electric system to give him foot massage while working or
travelling. Police has sent the shoes for verification as the
man was detained for interrogation.
Karachi airport continues to be on high alert
following a recent spate of suicide attacks and bombings in
different parts of the country.
"He had sophisticated electronic circuits hidden in
his shoes which could be used to create and detonate explosive
material," an official said.
He said the man who originally belonged to Manshera in
North West Frontier province was said to be a civil engineer
by qualification and was presently being interrogated by ASF
and intelligence officials.
Richard Reid, a British man, tried to blow up a
transatlantic jet in December 2001 with explosives hidden in
The Karachi detention comes a week after US agents
arrested a Pakistani-American man Faisal Shahzad, for
allegedly attempting to blow up a car bomb in New York.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Chikungunya outbreak in Delhi: Symptoms, tips to stay safe!
- Hal Shashti Vrat 2016: What is the significance of Balaram Jayanti!
- Good news for Vaishno Devi pilgrims! Shrine Board to announce new route soon - Know details
- Samsung's 1st Tizen powered 4G smartphone Z2 launched at Rs 4,590; comes with free Jio SIM
- All-new Hyundai Elantra launched in India, price starts at Rs 12.99 lakh