Pak fears Taliban attacks in Islamabad, Rawalpindi
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Interior Ministry has warned authorities that a group of Taliban militants plans to carry out attacks on targets in Islamabad and Rawalpindi, including the prison where Lashkar-e-Taiba members charged with involvement in the Mumbai attacks are being held.
A secret report circulated by the National Crisis Management Cell (NCMC) of the Interior Ministry contains "specific warnings of terror attacks" by around 16 members of the banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan over the next two weeks, The Express Tribune quoted its sources as saying.
The report, sent to all provincial home departments, provincial and federal police departments and the Islamabad`s Commissioner, said Adiala Jail in Rawalpindi is likely to be the "main target" of the militants who intend to "free their accomplices in a prison break".
LeT operational commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, one of the masterminds of the 2008 Mumbai attack, and six others charged with involvement in the 26/11 terror strike are currently being held at Adiala Jail.
Western and Indian intelligence sources had earlier confirmed to a news agency that Lakhvi had access to mobile phones within the prison and was in touch with other LeT operatives to direct the banned group`s operations.
The Taliban militants, who are "highly trained and reported to be currently residing in Attock" in Punjab province, are expected to simultaneously target government installations and attempt kidnapping some high-profile people in Islamabad and Rawalpindi, The Express Tribune reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured