‘Pak firm on its stance of demanding an apology from US’
Pakistan has not changed its position on seeking an apology from the US for a deadly cross-border NATO air strike that killed 24 soldiers last year, Defence Minister Naveed Qamar said.
Islamabad: Pakistan has not changed its position on seeking an apology from the US for a deadly cross-border NATO air strike that killed 24 soldiers last year, Defence Minister Naveed Qamar said on Friday.
Qamar made the remarks during an interaction with reporters in the federal capital.
Pakistan is firm on its stance of demanding an apology from the US, he said.
Pakistan closed routes used to transport supplies to foreign forces in neighbouring Afghanistan after the NATO attack.
Since then, it has linked the reopening of the supply lines to an apology from the US and the payment of higher fees for NATO containers and tankers passing through its territory.
Qamar said national interests will be kept in mind while determining relations with the US.
There will be no compromise on national interests and any decision on reopening the NATO supply routes will be made in accordance with the aspirations of the Pakistani people, he said.
Pakistan wants to play its due role in the comity of nations without compromising its supreme national interests, Qamar said.
"Talks on Pakistan-US relations are heading in the right direction and I hope that decisions will be taken in the best interests of the country," he added.
Pakistan-US ties are currently at an all-time low following a string of crises, including the NATO attack, the unilateral American raid that killed Osama bin Laden in Abbottabad and the gunning down of two Pakistani men by a CIA contractor in Lahore last year.