Pak: Five killed in N Waziristan blast
Islamabad: Five persons, including two security personnel, were killed and nine others injured in two roadside bomb attacks in Pakistan`s restive northwest on Sunday, officials said.
In the first incident, two security personnel were killed and seven more injured when a security forces convoy was targeted with a remote-controlled bomb in the restive North Waziristan tribal region of Pakistan today.
The convoy was on a routine patrol when it was attacked in Mir Ali area east of Miramshah, the main town in the region.
Two security personnel were killed instantly.
The injured were taken to a nearby hospital, where officials described their condition as stable.
Security forces cordoned off the area and launched a search operation.
The Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan`s Jundullah faction claimed responsibility for the attack, Dawn News channel reported.
It said the attack was carried out to avenge the death of commander Ahmed Bengali, who was killed in a US drone strike in North Waziristan.
Three tribesmen were killed and two others injured when a roadside bomb was detonated by remote control Bara area of Khyber Agency, officials of the local political administration told reporters.
Personnel of the Khasadar militia took the injured to a nearby hospital and conducted a search in the area but were unable to trace the attackers.
No group claimed responsibility for the attack.
Pakistan has spurned persistent calls from the US administration to launch a military operation against Taliban and al Qaeda elements in North Waziristan, saying it would decide the timing of any offensive.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam