Pak flight with CJ on board aborts take-off after fault
Islamabad: A Pakistan International Airlines flight with Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry, Federal Minister Maula Bux Chandio and several lawmakers on board aborted take-off at the airport in Karachi today after one of its engines developed a fault.
The flight, which was bound for Islamabad, was on the runway at 4 pm when the engine developed a fault, PIA officials said.
However, TV news channels quoted their sources as saying that an engine had caught fire during take-off.
The Civil Aviation Authority declared an emergency and cancelled the flight.
The Chief Justice summoned senior PIA officials to seek an explanation. The number of passengers on the flight could not immediately be ascertained.
Federal Minister Chandio criticised the state-run PIA for "mismanagement and utter incompetence".
Chandio told Geo News channel: "Smoke coming out of the burning engine entered the fuselage after they opened the emergency exit. It was suffocating in there. I saw many passengers, who were not feeling well, gasping for air."
Chandio said passengers were stranded in the aircraft for two hours.
Production Secretary Gul Mohammad Rind, who was among the passengers, said no PIA officer came to the aid of the passengers.
"They seemed so indifferent to this whole ordeal. They were pathetic," Rind said.
PML-N parliamentarian Shirin Arshad fell ill after smoke filled the cabin, TV news channels reported.
"Several people, including the elderly, fell ill and no one even told us what was going on," she said.
Defence Minister Naveed Qamar, whose ministry controls PIA, convened an emergency meeting of PIA officials tomorrow to review the situation.
PIA?s ageing and under-maintained fleet has been plagued by technical problems for the past few years. Flights are regularly delayed or cancelled due to these problems.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof