Pak floods cause over $190 mn losses
Islamabad: Torrential rains and heavy floods in Pakistan`s Balochistan province have caused losses of Rs18 billion (over $190 million), Dawn reported.
Rains and floods devastated standing crops in about 19 percent areas in Balochistan`s Nasirabad and Jaffarabad districts, it was revealed during a flood situation review meet.
It was observed that the irrigation system had been badly affected in the districts because two main canals and their distributaries irrigating millions of acres of land were damaged. Breaches in the canals at various points also caused heavy floods in many areas.
Presided over by Chief Secretary Babar Yaqoob Fateh Mohammad, two provincial ministers and other senior officials were also present during the meet.
The meeting was further informed that floodwater had started receding in various areas, while the communications department had restored traffic after repairing roads.
The Chief Secretary said the Prime Minister would visit the flood-hit areas of Nasirabad and Jaffarabad districts soon.
"We will inform him about the losses caused by floods and request him to provide funds for the rehabilitation work," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi