Pak forces got tip-off regarding ‘high value targets’ in Mohmand
Peshawar: The attack on militant hideouts in the Mohmand Agency of the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) on Friday, in which 30 militants, including top militant commanders, were reportedly killed, was carried out following an intelligence input received by Pakistani security forces regarding the presence of some ‘high value targets’ in the region.
“Security forces received a tip-off about the presence of high-value targets at the site. We used an attack helicopter to completely destroy the fortified hideout,” The Daily Times quoted officials, who refused to be named, as saying.
The Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) deputy chief Maulvi Faqir Muhammad , and Afghan Taliban commanders Qari Ziaur Rehman and Fateh Mohammad were reportedly killed in raid carried out by helicopter gunships. However, there has been no official confirmation of the militant commander’s death.
Interior Minister Rehman Malik also failed to confirm the reports.
“What I can confirm is the killing of Swat Taliban commander Fateh, whose real name is Umer Rehman. His dead body has been found. I can say that it will be a miracle if Faqir and Rehman managed to escape the attack,” Malik told reporters at the headquarters of the Frontier Corps.
It is believed that the death of the Taliban leaders, if confirmed, would serve a great blow to the banned extremist organisation.
Sources said that Maulana Faqir and the two other ‘commanders’ were seen in Mohmand on Wednesday.
Faqir had reportedly moved to Mohmand after his main base in Damadola was captured by Pakistani troops last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video