Pak Foreign Ministry yet to receive Chamel`s autopsy report
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Foreign Ministry on Thursday said it is yet to receive a report on the autopsy of Chamel Singh, an Indian prisoner who died in a jail in Lahore after allegedly being assaulted by prison staff.
Authorities in Lahore had not yet despatched the report, Foreign Office spokesman Aizaz Ahmad Chaudhry told a weekly news briefing.
He was responding to a question on why the government was not making public the report of the autopsy.
"On the autopsy report, we have not yet received it from the Ministry of Interior or the government of the Punjab. As soon as we receive the report, we will share it with the Indian High Commission and others concerned," Chaudhry said.
Official sources in Lahore told PTI earlier that marks of four injuries had been found on Singh`s body during an autopsy on March 13.
The autopsy was done nearly two months after Singh`s death and Pakistani officials have not given any explanation for the delay.
Officials of Kot Lakhpat Jail in Lahore have claimed Singh suddenly suffered a stroke in the presence of other Indian prisoners on January 15.
Singh succumbed to a heart attack on the way to hospital, they said.
Tehseen Khan, a Christian lawyer who recently completed a 42-month sentence for fraud at Kot Lakhpat Jail, alleged Singh died after being beaten by prison staff.
Prison officials have rejected the allegation.
Singh, said to be in his sixties, was serving a five-year prison term for alleged involvement in espionage. He was to complete his term in 2015.
In response to another question on relations with India, spokesman Chaudhry said the bilateral composite dialogue "remains an important part of the peace process".
He added: "We do hope that the remaining segments of the composite dialogue will be held as soon as the dates have been worked out."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan