Pak forms panel to probe high treason case against
Islamabad: Pakistan has formed a high-level panel to probe the high treason case against former military ruler Pervez Musharraf for imposing emergency rule in 2007, the government said on Thursday.
69-year-old Musharraf, who faces high treason charges for abrogating the constitution during his 1999-2008 rule, had imposed emergency rule in November 2007, and suspended the constitution.
He had also placed dozens of top judges under house arrest who had refused to take oath under his Provisional Constitutional Order.
Interior Minister Chaudhary Nisar Ali Khan told the National Assembly that a four-member committee comprising senior officials of the Federal Investigation Agency will probe the case.
Nisar said the committee will keep the Interior Ministry informed about its investigation and submit its report within the shortest possible time.
Earlier, the Supreme Court today reserved its verdict on petitions, seeking high treason proceedings against Musharraf.
The verdict will be announced on an appropriate time.
Attorney General Munir Malik informed the Supreme Court that an investigation team will probe the emergency promulgated by Musharraf and the Prime Minister has issued necessary directives to the interior secretary about the case proceedings.
The Attorney General said that a commission will also be constituted to oversee the entire investigation process.
He said, a timeframe will also be set to complete the hearing of the case.
He said that the commitment of the government in this regard is on the record of the court.
Musharraf, currently under house arrest, has been facing a slew of charges, apart from the proclamation of emergency in 2007.
He also faces charges in several high-profile cases, including the 2007 assassination of former premier Benazir Bhutto and the killing of Baloch nationalist leader Akbar Bugti in 2006.
Compounding his legal woes, Pakistani investigators on Tuesday included Musharraf in the list of main accused who conspired to assassinate Bhutto.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?