Pak: Four militants killed in US drone attack
Islamabad: Four militants were killed on Friday
when a US drone targeted a house and a vehicle in the restive
North Waziristan tribal region of Pakistan, a day after a top
Haqqani network leader was hit in a similar attack.
The CIA-operated spy plane fired two missiles at the
house and vehicle in Darpakhel area near the Afghan border, an
area controlled by the Haqqani network.
The identities of the victims could not immediately be
ascertained. This was the second drone attack in North
Waziristan since yesterday.
Darpakhel, located just three kilometres from Miranshah,
the maintown of North Waziristan Agency, houses seminaries and
homes of members of the al Qaeda-linked Haqqani network.
US drones carried out two strikes in North and South
Waziristan yesterday, killing at least 10 suspected militants,
including a senior commander of the Haqqani network.
Pakistani and the US officials identified the dead
commander as Janbaz Zadran alias Jamil. He was a lieutenant of
Badruddin Haqqani, the brother of network chief Sirajuddin
Haqqani. Jamil was in-charge of communications and logistics
for the Haqqani network but he was not member of the family.
Jalaluddin Haqqani, a former Afghan jihadi commander and
father of Sirajuddin, had established seminaries in Dande
Darpakhel area during the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.
Pakistan is under US pressure to launch an operation
against the Haqqani network, blamed for a terror attack on the
US Embassy in Kabul and a truck bombing on a US military base.
The CIA has again stepped up drone strikes amid tensions
between the US and Pakistan over the Haqqani network. Top US
military leaders have said Pakistan`s ISI has links with the
Haqqani network and supports the group.
Pakistan has dismissed the charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown