Pak gets refurbished F-16s
Islamabad: A Turkish firm on Friday delivered
the first batch of three F-16 combat jets to the Pakistan Air Force after a mid-life upgrade.
The F-16 Block 15 jets were earlier sent to Turkish Aerospace Industries (TAI) to be refurbished under a contract
signed in October 2010.
A total of 45 F-16s will undergo a mid-life upgrade.
The three jets were upgraded and delivered to Pakistan
"as per commitment", said a statement issued by the PAF.
Under the programme, TAI is modernising the avionics and
structure of F-16 jets that have been in service with the PAF
The project is planned to be completed by September 2014.
To commemorate the delivery of the first batch of
upgraded jets, a ceremony was held at PAF’s Shahbaz airbase at
Jacobabad in Sindh province.
Deputy Chief of Air Staff (Operations), Air Marshal
Waseemuddin, and other officials attended the event.
Earlier this month, the US delivered to Pakistan the last
of 18 new F-16 D Block 52 jets and two F-16 Block 15 jets that
had undergone a mid-life upgrade in the US.
The parts, materials and technical data required for the
mid-life upgrade of the F-16s are being provided to the
Turkish firm under another contract between the US
administration and the PAF. The Turkish firm is also providing
on-the-job training to PAF technicians.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler