Pak girl arrest on blasphemy charges disturbing: US
Washington: The US on Monday called the arrest of a young Pakistani girl on blasphemy charges "deeply disturbing" and praised President Asif Ali Zardari for coming out against it.
"This case is obviously deeply disturbing, the arrest of a young Pakistani girl on blasphemy charges," State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland told reporters at her daily news conference.
"President Zardari, to his credit, went out very quickly. So conceivably, we`ve been welcoming of that move in Islamabad, as well," Nuland said appreciative of the move of the Pak president.
"Zardari has now asked the Interior Ministry to look into the arrest and has underscored that vulnerable populations have to be protected from misuse of the blasphemy law," she said.
"We would call on the Pakistanis to have that investigation in a transparent way. And we think that the President`s statement is very welcome, and we urge the government of Pakistan to protect not just its religious minority citizens but also women and girls," Nuland said.
- IPL 9: Gujarat Lions vs Kings XI Punjab – Probable playing XIs; players to watch out for
- WATCH: You ripper! Unplayable magic ball leaves master batsman VVS Laxman completely exposed!
- IPL 2016, Match 30: Royal Challengers Bangalore vs Kolkata Knight Riders - Preview
- Sebi to up vigil to check misuse of investor money by brokers
- Three detained for murder of Hindu tailor in Bangladesh