Pak govt asked to respond to plea against Davis` `facilities`

Last Updated: Tuesday, March 1, 2011 - 16:04

Lahore: A Pakistani court has asked the federal
government to respond by March 14 to a petition challenging
alleged facilities like a cellphone and internet access
provided to suspected CIA contractor Raymond Davis in a jail
here following his arrest for gunning down two men in January.

Lawyer Javed Iqbal Jaffrey filed the application in
connection with a case the Lahore High court is hearing to
decide the diplomatic status of Davis, who has been lodged in
the Kot Lakhpat Jail here.
He requested the court to order prison authorities to
withdraw all facilities allegedly being provided to Davis.

Jaffrey claimed Davis had been provided a cell phone,
internet access and extraordinary security in violation of the
jail manual.

He asked the court to order the recording of Davis` trial
in jail on charges of murdering two men.

He said Deputy Attorney General Naveed Inayat Malik, who
represents the federal government in the High Court, should be
directed to file on March 14, when the next hearing is
scheduled, a report regarding developments and progress in
Davis` case and not to waste the court`s time by
dilly-dallying.

Jaffrey said Malik should also be directed to inform the
court about the actual identity of Davis, if it had been
established, and any pressure on the government from any
corner to tamper with the original documents of the American
in a bid to accord him diplomatic immunity.
He also asked the court to summon former Foreign Minister
Shah Mahmood Qureshi to record his statement as Qureshi had
contended that Davis` does not have diplomatic immunity.

After hearing Jaffrey`s arguments yesterday, Lahore High
Court Chief Justice Ijaz Chaudhry asked Malik to file a reply
to the lawyer`s application by March 14.

PTI



First Published: Tuesday, March 1, 2011 - 16:04

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus