Pak govt for restricting AQ Khan`s movements
Lahore: Pakistan government has informed the High Court here that it wants to restrict the movements of disgraced nuclear scientist AQ Khan as he is facing "threats to his life”.
The government`s position was conveyed to a bench of the Lahore High Court yesterday by Attorney General Anwar Mansoor Khan.
The top law official appeared before Justice Ijaz Ahmad Chaudhry during the hearing of a government petition asking the court to restrain 73-year-old AQ Khan from moving around freely, meeting people without security clearance and giving interviews to the media.
The Attorney General said the government wanted to restrict Khan`s movements as he faced threats to his life.
"The nuclear scientist has already consented to an agreement with the government over his security during the hearing of a case before the now defunct Islamabad High Court," he said.
Khan`s counsel Ali Zafar argued that the government had been imposing "illegal terms" of an agreement supposedly made with the scientist to provide him security. Zafar said the pact was not made with Khan`s consent and any agreement that would curtail a person`s fundamental rights is void and illegal.
He also said the government was restricting Khan by "surreptitiously imposing detention on him" in the garb of security.
The court later adjourned the matter till February 19.
At the last hearing on January 25, the court restored the security protocol for Khan that was agreed on before the Islamabad High Court.
This protocol restricted Khan from moving around without security clearance and giving statements to the media.
Khan had also filed a statement challenging the government`s contention that he had been giving interviews to the Pakistani and foreign media.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp