Pak Govt gets time to answer petition against US drone attacks
Lahore: A Pakistani court on Friday gave the
federal government another opportunity to submit its reply to
a petition filed by Jamaat-ud-Dawah chief Hafiz Muhammad Saeed
seeking the implementation of a parliamentary resolution
against US drone attacks.
Justice Sheikh Azmat Saeed of the Lahore High Court was
informed that a Deputy Attorney General was to represent the
government in court but failed to appear as he was unwell.
The judge was requested by the government to give it time
to submit a response and he postponed the hearing of the
petition till October 13.
During several recent hearings, the court had given
opportunities to the government to file its response but it
had disregarded the court`s directions.
The petition was filed by Saeed through his counsel A K
Saeed asked the court to direct the government to make
public information in all matters of public importance,
especially "secret deals" with the US.
He further asked the court to declare that pre-emptive
strikes on Pakistani soil by foreign countries are not
permitted by international law and therefore, everyone had the
right to claim to be protected.
The JuD chief contended that the resolution passed by a
joint session of the two houses of parliament after the US
raid against Osama bin Laden in May was the voice of the
people and needs to be implemented.
Saeed`s counsel Dogar told the court that the President,
Prime Minister and all state functionaries should be made to
follow the simple life of Prophet Mohammed and asked to vacate
their official residences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand