Pak govt not considering Sarabjit clemency
Lahore: The issue of clemency for Indian
death row prisoner Sarabjit Singh is neither under
consideration nor his mercy petition is pending with the
Pakistan President, the government informed a court on Tuesday.
The federal government`s position was conveyed to Lahore
High Court Chief Justice Ijaz Chaudhry in a reply filed by
Deputy Attorney General Nasim Kashmiri.
The Chief Justice was hearing a petition asking the court
to restrain President Asif Ali Zardari from pardoning
Sarabjit. The Chief Justice subsequently dismissed the
petition filed by a lawyer named Ilamuddin Ghazi.
Ghazi said Sarabjit had been given the death sentence by
a trial court and the verdict had been upheld by the Lahore
High Court and the Supreme Court.
He pointed out that even the former President Pervez
Musharraf had dismissed his mercy petition.
The Chief Justice also dismissed a separate petition
filed by Sarabjit`s lawyer seeking a medical check-up and
treatment for him.
A report submitted on behalf of the Punjab Home Secretary
rejected arguments by Awais Sheikh, the counsel for Sarabjit,
that he was in need of medical treatment.
The report maintained that Sarabjit was in good health
and there was no need to get him medically examined at a
hospital outside Kot Lakhpat Jail, where he is being held.
The report said Sheikh`s request to allow him to teach
Sarabjit yoga in the jail was not "practicable".
Sheikh was being allowed to meet Sarabjit according to
jail rules and regulations, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video