Pak govt not considering Sarabjit clemency
Lahore: The issue of clemency for Indian
death row prisoner Sarabjit Singh is neither under
consideration nor his mercy petition is pending with the
Pakistan President, the government informed a court on Tuesday.
The federal government`s position was conveyed to Lahore
High Court Chief Justice Ijaz Chaudhry in a reply filed by
Deputy Attorney General Nasim Kashmiri.
The Chief Justice was hearing a petition asking the court
to restrain President Asif Ali Zardari from pardoning
Sarabjit. The Chief Justice subsequently dismissed the
petition filed by a lawyer named Ilamuddin Ghazi.
Ghazi said Sarabjit had been given the death sentence by
a trial court and the verdict had been upheld by the Lahore
High Court and the Supreme Court.
He pointed out that even the former President Pervez
Musharraf had dismissed his mercy petition.
The Chief Justice also dismissed a separate petition
filed by Sarabjit`s lawyer seeking a medical check-up and
treatment for him.
A report submitted on behalf of the Punjab Home Secretary
rejected arguments by Awais Sheikh, the counsel for Sarabjit,
that he was in need of medical treatment.
The report maintained that Sarabjit was in good health
and there was no need to get him medically examined at a
hospital outside Kot Lakhpat Jail, where he is being held.
The report said Sheikh`s request to allow him to teach
Sarabjit yoga in the jail was not "practicable".
Sheikh was being allowed to meet Sarabjit according to
jail rules and regulations, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune