Pak govt plans joint sitting of Parliament next week
Islamabad: A joint sitting of the two Houses of Pakistan`s Parliament has been convened on February 6 to endorse the imposition of Governor`s Rule in the restive Balochistan province and to discuss the upcoming general election.
Acting President Syed Nayyer Hussain Bokhari has summoned the joint session of parliament at 5 pm on February 6, presidential spokesman Farhatullah Babar said.
President Asif Ali Zardari is currently on an official visit to Britain to attend a trilateral summit on Afghanistan.
Besides endorsing the imposition of Governor`s Rule in Balochistan, the joint sitting of parliament will discuss the dissolution of the national and provincial assemblies and the upcoming general election.
Law Minister Farooq H Naek told the media he had drawn up a formal proposal for convening the joint session of parliament as it was mandatory to seek endorsement for the imposition of Governor`s Rule.
Governor`s Rule was imposed in Balochistan last month in the wake of nationwide protests over terror attacks in the provincial capital of Quetta that killed over 90 people, a majority of them Shias.
However, the proclamation for Governor’s Rule has to be laid before a joint sitting of parliament for endorsement.
Since the imposition of Governor`s Rule, members of the Balochistan Assembly have been protesting against the dismissal of the provincial government. They have also demanded the withdrawal of Governor`s Rule.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read