Pak govt re-imposes security restrictions on AQ Khan
Islamabad: The Pakistan government has re-imposed security restrictions on Dr Abdul Qadeer Khan, father of the country’s nuclear programme, saying his life is under risk.
“His life is under threat and we cannot take risks. Therefore, his movements… are being restricted,” Interior Minister Rehman Malik told reporters after a high level meeting here.
Malik said the government has directed the concerned agencies to step up the security of Khan and other leading nuclear scientists of the country in the wake of the recent attacks and killings of scientists in other countries.
“Dr AQ Khan is a former custodian of sensitive information. The security of our nuclear assets and personnel is very important. Therefore, various measures were discussed to ensure foolproof security of Dr Khan and other scientists,” The Dawn quoted a statement released by the Interior Ministry, as saying.
Meanwhile, Khan has objected to the restrictions, saying the move is a clear violation of court’s verdict, as the Lahore High Court had asked the government not to stop him from moving outside his house.
“The government is committing contempt of court by doing this,” Khan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad