Pak govt to challenge suspension of Lakhvi's detention

The Pakistan government on Tuesday said it would challenge the Islamabad High Court's (IHC) decision to suspend the detention of Mumbai terror attacks mastermind Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi.

PTI| Last Updated: Jan 01, 2015, 10:30 AM IST

Islamabad: The Pakistan government on Tuesday said it would challenge the Islamabad High Court's (IHC) decision to suspend the detention of Mumbai terror attacks mastermind Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi.

"The government has decided to move an intra-court appeal against the IHC's order," an interior ministry official said.

The attorney general of Pakistan will file the intra-court appeal against the IHC order to suspend Lakhvi's detention under Maintenance of Public Order (MPO) Ordinance.

The Islamabad High Court had on Monday ordered the conditional release of Lakhvi, asking him to deposit a security bond of Rs 1 million in response to his petition seeking an end to his detention.

Yesterday, Lakhvi was sent to two days' judicial remand in an abduction case a day after the IHC approved his release.

Earlier on December 18, Lakhvi was granted post-arrest bail by the anti-terrorism court (ATC) in Islamabad.

However, the federal government extended his detention in the Adiala Jail under the MPO Ordinance.

The government has already declared it will challenge the bail to Lakhvi by the anti-terror trial court.

Lakhvi and six other accused - Abdul Wajid, Mazhar Iqbal, Hamad Amin Sadiq, Shahid Jameel Riaz, Jamil Ahmed and Younis Anjum -? were allegedly involved in planning and executing the Mumbai attacks on November 26, 2008 that left 166 people dead.

Lakhvi was arrested in December 2008 and was indicted along with the six others on November 25, 2009 in connection with the case. The trial has been underway since 2009.