Pak govt to prosecute Musharraf for high treason
Islamabad: Pakistan government will
prosecute former military ruler Pervez Musharraf and his
collaborators for "high treason" for violating the
constitution by imposing emergency in 2007.
The Parliament will pass a resolution to this effect
soon, a minister has said.
"The National Assembly, while passing the resolution,
will also have to distinguish whether only Pervez Musharraf
was responsible for committing this act of high treason or
others who abetted him were also responsible," Minister of
State for Law Afzal Sindhu has said.
"The federal government will act according to the
findings and suggestions of the assembly," Sindhu told The
"Such a case will be filed in a sessions court in
Islamabad," he said.
Pakistan`s Supreme Court has ruled that Musharraf`s
act of imposing emergency was unconstitutional and illegal,
raising the possibility of him being tried for treason.
However, under the constitution, only the federal government
can initiate such a case.
Sindhu said according to the High Treason (Punishment)
Act of 1973 and a subsequent law of 1976, a person designated
by the federal government will file the complaint in a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark