Pak govt urged to shift Shakil Afridi from Peshawar
Islamabad: The chief minister of Pakistan`s Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province has urged the federal government to shift jailed Pakistani doctor Shakil Afridi to any other place in the country citing threat to the physician`s life from terrorists, Online news agency reported.
Afridi has been sentenced to 33 years in jail after helping the US spy agency CIA find former al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden. He was charged with treason for helping the US.
Talking to a private TV channel Chief Minister Amir Hyder Khan said that Afridi`s life is in danger as terrorist are imprisoned in the central jail of Peshawar.
"It would be a wise decision to shift Dr Afridi from Peshawar," he said, adding that security arrangements around the jail have been beefed up.
Afridi was found guilty under the Frontier Crimes Regulation for carrying out a fake vaccination campaign in Abbottabad to get the DNA samples of bin Laden. He was also fined Rs.320, 000 (over $3,400).
US commandos stormed bin Laden`s hideout at Abbottabad near Rawalpindi May 2 last year, taking the US-Pakistan ties to a new low. The doctor was arrested 20 days later while trying to escape to Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM